Wednesday, May 30, 2012

8 Health Benefits of Zucchini





As a child I really didn't like my greens! In fact I did everything I could to avoid them and lived off yoghurt, cheese and ice cream. Any wonder looking back why I struggled frequently with colds, flues, congestion, hay fever, and often getting sick.  I wasn't aware of healthy eating and living like I know.
My sweet kind hearted Mum loved to force our  veges in to us, fresh from my Dads garden but I just hated greens! Why? Because they were over cooked, soggy and mushy. The taste of cooked soggy zucchini  and boiled cabbage just never tempted my palette.


These days...


I have discovered the freshness and great taste from raw living foods. 
I love creating recipes with zucchini especially after my recent trip to Bali where I was fortunate to learn from Master Chef 'Made Ruthna' of the amazing resort Fivelements http://www.fivelements.org/
One thing I learnt was combining  five spices rule to zucchini to create the most exquisite taste.


There are many great health benefits from eating zucchini. Not only is is low in calorie because of its high water content, there are many reason why incorporating zucchini to your nutrtion will serve your body.


This is what I discovered.


  1. 1 cup of zucchini is 36 calories, if you are into calorie counting. What excites me is it aids digestion, prevents constipation, maintains blood sugar levels, and overeating.
  2. Lowers cholesterol 
  3. Healing food and cancer prevention, because of it high dietary and fibre content, it keeps the bowl regular and healthy. The vitamin A and c, as well as folate act as a powerful antioxidant, that fight oxidative stress that can lead to all types of cancer.
  4. Prostate Health studies show the phytonutrients found in zucchini aid reducing symptoms of benign prostate hypertrophy, a condition in which the prostate glands enlarges and leads to complications with urination and sexual functions in men.
  5. Anti-inflammatory Vitamins C and A not only serve our body as powerful antioxidants, but also as effective anti-inflammatory agents. Research shows along with copper found in zucchini, these vitamins can help  prevent the development of osteoarthritis, asthma and rheumatoid arthritis.
  6. 1 cup of zucchini contains 10% of the RDA of magnesium  and folate. Minerals that have been proven to reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke. 
  7. High in Manganese a trace mineral and essential nutrient, with many health benefits such as healthy skin and proper wound healing.
Try my tasty quick and easy Zucchini Soup



  Zucchini Soup

3 Peeled Zucchini
1 freshly squeezed lemon
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 teaspooon sea salt
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp diced onion
1 tsp agave
1 tsp cumin
1 TBSPchia seeds
1 cup water


Method
mix chia seeds in 1/2 cup of water, allow to form a gel consistency.

Blend all other ingredients  until smooth including 1/2 cup of water. Add chia seeds, blend well.
Garnish with cherry tomato. spring onion and coriander and cracked pepper to taste. 


New YOGA BALI DVD Is HERE, including VEGAN MASTER CLASSES.  You can get your copy today at http://www.nickyarthur.com.au/#page=shop







No comments:

Post a Comment