Thursday, June 21, 2012

Macaroni chia cheese


Macaroni cheese was often a popular weekend dish for me as a child  living in New Zealand, I remember it for the cheesy and savoury taste. I loved cheese as a child. In those days we were programmed that 'Cheese' and 'Cows Milk' is the only way to get the best  calcium intake.

These days living the lifestyle I lead and learning  the rewarding benefits  about raw food I can only look back and see how the amounts of pasta and dairy didn’t serve.  As a child I do remember getting sick often, and I do remember that feeling of heaviness after eating a  dairy cheesy milky dish.

Recommendation for adults is 100mg of calcium per day. One cup of milk has 296mg, but there are plenty of reasons you might not want to drink cows milk from personal to medical reasons.

10 Foods high in calcium that don't come from a cow.

Chia Seeds 820mg/100g -  1 Tablespoon = 123 mg 


Seasame 1/4 cup 351 mg calcium

Spinach   1 cup 245 mg 

Black strap molasses 1 Tablesoon 137 mg

Broccoli 2 cups 124 mg

Brazil nuts (I use to eat these when I was breast feeding.) 12 nuts = 90 mg 

Celery -2 cups 81mg 

Almonds 23 nuts aprox - 75mg 

Flaxseed 2 Tablespoon 52 mg 

Cow's milk, 1 % 120MG/100g


I found a great link to how much calcium do we really need... http://geekgoneraw.blogspot.com.au/2009/11/how-much-calcium-do-we-really-need.html



My passion these days is to share with the world you can get more quality calcium intake in other foods you didn't dream of eating or mixing together and they are all wholesome, raw, and from a plant not a COW! When you think how simple that strategy is 'eating plant based foods, rather than animal' it makes sense your body is only going to turn into a powerhouse for 'Energy and Vitality' 
Nature provided and abundant supply of  live grown foods for us to enjoy and benefit the nutritional value from. Most of these super foods I use in the recipes are ancient and been around for thousands of years. 
We just didn't know about them. When you open your mind to new ways, 

 I am excited to create this dish and I know you will enjoy it as much as I did and it is raw, high in calcium and ever so satisfying. 

Macaroni Chia Cheese

Ingredients
1-cup cashew nuts presoaked 2 hrs
4 Yellow Squash
¼ cup olive oil
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ cup of savory nutritional yeast
1-teaspoon onion flakes
1-teaspoon chillie flakes
2 Tablespoon chia seeds
2 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon
¼ Shallot
Pinch of turmeric
½ garlic clove
½ cup walnuts
Paprika

Method
Slice squash with zucchini peeler or slicer to create long noodles, allow to sit.
Mix 1 Tablespoon of chia seeds into remaining ingredients and process until smooth and creamy. Add to yellow squash and massage through with your hands slowly and gently, unitl mixed thoroughly mixed through.

Process walnuts and a pinch of chille flakes and sea salt. Top with walnuts as the bread crumbs.

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment